On 30 Aug 2011, at 2:47pm, Richard Hipp wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
>> Any problems with multi-line
>> quoted text strings containing comments ?  Anything else anyone wants to
>> warn me about ?  I don't actually need to use the '/*' format, but if anyone
>> wants to talk about that, that's cool too.
>
> Strings that contain comment-like characters are not altered in any way -
> the comment-like characters are preserved.  The sqlite3_complete() routine
> takes care of this on behalf of the shell.

So ...

a) comment starters outside of statements introduce comments
b) comment starters inside of statements but outside of strings introduce
comments
c) comment starters inside of strings are treated as part of the string

That checks with what I got when I experimented.  And I can work with that.
Thanks.

Simon.