Hello,

I have two tables, inodes and inode_blocks, which have indices on id and
inode respectively.

The following query seems to make optimal use of the indices:

sqlite> explain query plan
        SELECT 1 from inode_blocks where inode=42
        UNION
        SELECT 1 from inodes where block_id is not null and id=42;
1|0|0|SEARCH TABLE inode_blocks USING COVERING INDEX
sqlite_autoindex_inode_blocks_1 (inode=?) (~5 rows)
2|0|0|SEARCH TABLE inodes USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (rowid=?) (~1 rows)
0|0|0|COMPOUND SUBQUERIES 1 AND 2 USING TEMP B-TREE (UNION)

However, if I use an intermediate view:

sqlite>CREATE VIEW inode_blocks_v AS
       SELECT * FROM inode_blocks
       UNION
       SELECT id as inode, 0 as blockno, block_id FROM inodes WHERE block_id IS
NOT NULL

and then run the same query on the view, SQLite scans through all
involved tables:

sqlite> explain query plan SELECT 1 FROM inode_blocks_v WHERE inode=42;
2|0|0|SCAN TABLE inode_blocks (~10711 rows)
3|0|0|SCAN TABLE inodes (~131030 rows)
1|0|0|COMPOUND SUBQUERIES 2 AND 3 USING TEMP B-TREE (UNION)
0|0|0|SCAN SUBQUERY 1 (~14174 rows)

Is there any way I can make SQLite use the indices here as well? I can't
see any reason of why they couldn't be used.

Best,

   -Nikolaus