I have the following query:

Code:

UPDATE STAYSPEC SET date_out =
CASE WHEN EXISTS
     (SELECT *
      FROM STAYSPEC AS STAYSPEC2
      WHERE (STAYSPEC2.STAYNUM = STAYSPEC.STAYNUM) AND
     (STAYSPEC2.ORDER_SPEC = STAYSPEC.ORDER_SPEC+1))
THEN
     (SELECT date_in FROM STAYSPEC AS STAYSPEC3
      WHERE (STAYSPEC3.STAYNUM = STAYSPEC.STAYNUM)
      AND (STAYSPEC3.ORDER_SPEC = STAYSPEC.ORDER_SPEC+1))
ELSE
      (SELECT STAYHOSP.date_out FROM STAYHOSP
      WHERE (STAYHOSP.STAYNUM = STAYSPEC.STAYNUM))
END;

date_in and date_out have both the type TEXT.

So I need, for every record in STAYSPEC, to find another record in STAYSPEC
that has the same STAYNUM field and an ORDER_SPEC field that is 1 more. I
want to replace the date_out from STAYSPEC with that date (in text format).

If such a record does not exist (EXISTS) then it needs to take the date_out
from the STAYHOSP table where the STAYNUM is the same.

Whenever I execute the above query it doesn't give an error or something,
it's just keeps running without ever stopping ! Since it's quite hard to
debug this I sincerely hope someone can help me with this.