On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Fabian <fabianpi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/19 Alexey Pechnikov <pechni...@mobigroup.ru>
>> FTS use index multi-tree and de-facto has _no_ insert speed degradation.
>
> Thanks, that's good to hear! It makes me wonder why SQLite doesn't use that
> same multi-tree mechanism for regular indexes, but that's a whole different
> question.

To be clear, how it works is that new insertions are batched into a
new index tree, with index trees periodically aggregated to keep
selection efficient and to keep the size contained.  So while the
speed per insert should remain pretty stable constant, periodically an
insert will require index maintenance, so that insert will be slower.
If you have a lot of documents (or a small page cache) these
maintenance events can get pretty expensive relative to the cost of a
non-maintenance insert.  So it's not a clear-cut win, but it probably
would be interesting as an alternative sort of index for some tables.

-scott