On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Jay A. Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:13:35PM -0500, Nico Williams scratched on the wall:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Stephan Beal <sgb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Nothing. Even MS Access cannot (or could not way back when i used it) be
>> > safely used on SMB/CIFS storage.
>>
>> Can you elaborate as to why?
>
>  http://sqlite.org/faq.html#q5
>

>  In short: buggy filesystem code that doesn't support distributed
>  locks correctly.

That explains why concurrent access over NFS or CIFS is dangerous.  It
doesn't explain that it's not possible to use SQLite3 over NFS or
CIFS.

Also, regarding NFS, it would be safe to use if SQLite3 were to use
whole-file byte range locks.  NFS makes concurrent access to byte
ranges that are not locked unsafe.  Of course, safely making changes
to how SQLite3 locks files may be difficult now...

CIFS does support byte range locking, and I suspect that the same rule
I mentioned above regarding NFS applies.  Plus, as a last resort
there's CIFS open deny modes that SQLite3 could use to prevent
concurrency.

out that on Lustre, because Lustre is fully POSIX-compliant regarding
write visibility, SQLite3 should work fine as-is.

Nico