On 22 Oct 2011, at 2:17pm, Fabian wrote:

> I have a very simple table: it just contains one single (text) column with
> an index. This table contains million of hash-values, and because of the
> index, SQLite is storing all the data twice. Behind the scenes it creates a
> second table, containing all the same values in sorted order, causing the
> database size to double.
>
> Because all the data I need is also in this second index-table, is there
> some kind of way to get rid of my original table, and still be able to
> insert new items?

Nope.  That's the way an index works in a database.

However, your needs for this particular hash index are so simple, you may not
actually need a proper database system.  Especially if you don't have to insert
new rows in this giant list.  All you may need is a text file of the
hash-values, sorted into order.  You could search this file using the binary
chop method or some similar fast searching method.

Simon.