> What is the "page size"? Aren't sqlite dbs portable to any
> platform/processor? Could it be that sqlite installed on my 64-bit machine is
> writing a 64-bit db, but our app and the sqlite3 lib is only 32-bit? Seems
> like any good file format wouldn't care about that and knows how to
> read/write the same no matter what.

You understand correctly that SQLite database is portable and doesn't
depend on platform bitness or anything like that. Page size is (to
explain it roughly) size of elementary data block in the database
file. You can see this size using "pragma page_size" (see
http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_page_size). At the time of
database creation you can change page size using the same pragma
statement. And I believe the only time when page size matters (besides
some performance considerations) is in this backup API your app uses.
So to fix your problem you need to issue a correct "pragma
page_size=..." statement at the time of creation of the database
(probably in-memory one).

Pavel