It seems I finally have some sort of a solution:

"As of SQLite version 3.7.9, FTS4 supports a new option - "content"
-designed to extend FTS4 to support the creation of full-text indexes
where:

+
+    * The indexed documents are not stored within the SQLite database
+      at all (a "contentless" FTS4 table), or
+
+    * The indexed documents are stored in a database table created and
+      managed by the user (an "external content" FTS4 table).

Using this new option I can keep all data together in a regular table,
and use FTS purely as an index.

I wonder why this new option wasn't mentioned in the changelog of
3.7.9, but maybe because it's still experimental?