Please, be correct.  There are no secure ways to communicate.  Period.

Neither "persistent SQL datastores" or "websockets" will get you
secure communication.  Nor will SSL, or anything else.

Paranoia is essential in writing communication software.  (Of course,
paranoia is important in writing any software, but in communications,
you can't even trust yourself.)

http://xkcd.com/327/

--David Garfield