Thanks; that to me looks a truly amazing SQL!
As you say doing this in code might be more efficient and definitely
less confusing.
In fact when doing something as you suggest:
select * from MyTable where ID <= 14 order by ID desc
I can make it a lot more efficient by adding a limit as not many
records will be needed.

RBS