On the different note, I am having about 1000 connection to the same SQLite
data and as expected, it will be slower. What would be an efficient way to
make it fast? I am opening dataset as Read Only.

Thanks

Gaurav

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Jay A. Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 05:22:38PM +0000, Simon Slavin scratched on the
> wall:
> > On 24 Nov 2011, at 5:10pm, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:
> > > On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:08:12AM +0000, Simon Slavin scratched on
> the wall:

> > >  Why?  Both types are a string of 64 bits.  Both types use the same
> > >  integer-based logic for the =, <, and > operations.
> > >
> > >  The only real difference is that integers are stored in a compressed
> > >  format.  While that means they have a higher CPU cost to decode, the
> > >  smaller size likely makes up for the encoding overhead with improved
> > >  I/O times.  I'm not sure there is a strong practical win, however--
> > >  especially if the data is in cache, or doesn't span several pages.
> >
> > Hmm.  I really should check this out with SQLite.  It is generally
> > true in computing.
>
>   FP mathematics instructions (such as + - * / )  typically take many
>  more CPU cycles to complete than their integer equivalents.
>
>  However, when it comes to comparisons (such as = < <= >= > ) you
>  might use in an index scan, the IEEE 754 standard is specifically
>  designed so that these operations can be done with the exact same
>  logic as unsigned integer numbers.  In most CPUs the floating-point
>  pipeline has its own logic units to perform these operations (due
>  to the separation of integer and FP registers), but the speed of these
>  logic units should be the same as the primary integer units.
>
> > It may not be true given how SQLite uses different
> > numbers of bytes to store different sized integers.
>
>   Yes-- the variable length integers means there are extra decoding
>  steps for the integers.  However, the variable length also means one
>  can, in theory, stuff more "typical" integer values into the same
>  database page, saving on I/O.  If the I/O is from disk, this reduced
>  I/O cost, as small as it is likely to be, is still likely to save
>  significantly more than the integer decoding costs.  I/O is just that
>  expensive next to processor cycles.  That's my guess, anyways.  I'm
>  not sure things would be so clear if you were working out of the
>  OS file system cache.
>
>  Overall, you might be right... But if there is a difference, it
>  is likely related to the variable length nature of integers, not
>  something inherent in FP math being more expensive than integer math.
>
>    -j
>
> --
> Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y  @  K R E I B I.C H >
>
> "Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
>  but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
>  feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson

Gaurav Vyas
Graduate Research Assistant, Transportation Engineering
University of Texas at Austin