On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Black, Michael (IS) <michael.bla...@ngc.com
> wrote:

> Maybe we need a "pragma wal_trim" ??  This would automatically trim it
> after a checkpoint?  Or make it an explicit action?

checkpoint cannot trim.  This is because of the rule that checkpoints will
never block either readers or writers, and a trim operation requires
getting a write lock, and hence as the potential to block writers.  That's
why the trim is done by the next writer - since it already has to get a
write lock and hence has already dealt with any concurrency issues.

> Waiting for another write before truncating it seems too late and not a
> logical thing to expect.
>

> Michael D. Black
>
> Senior Scientist
>
> Advanced Analytics Directorate
>
> Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit
>
> Northrop Grumman Information Systems

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org