On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Sreekumar TP <sreekumar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is another reader but sharing the same connection. So checkpoint
> process cannot be blocked by another reader.

The other reader doesn't have to be active - it merely needs to be holding
open a read transaction.  Perhaps you have failed to run sqlite3_reset() or
sqlite3_finalize() on one or more of the statements from the reader.

If you run "PRAGMA wal_checkpoint(RESTART)" then the SQLite connection
running that pragma will block until all readers and writers clear and the
checkpoint can run to completion - to the point of resetting the WAL file.
If that pragma then blocks forever, then you know you have a stuck
transaction somewhere.

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Yves Goergen <nospam.l...@unclassified.de
> >wrote:
>
> >  On 01.12.2011 18:58 CE(S)T, Sreekumar TP wrote:
> > > During the measurement of manual checkpoint times, I see the following
> > > behaviour -
> > >
> > > # of WAL frames checkpointed is over 1000
> > > size of DB has not changed after checkpoint.(measured using fstat)
> > > Time for the checkpoint if around 500 ms.
> > >
> > > Why is it that eventhough 1000+ frames are checkpointed, the DB size
> has
> > > not increased ?
> > > All records inserted are new and unique records and insertions start
> from
> > > empty database.
> >
> > Could it be that the pages were not actually written to the database
> > because there was a reader lock on them? Did any other process access
> > the database (and thus hold any locks) while you did the checkpointing?
> >
> > (Wild guess. I've only learned about WAL and started using it yesterday.
> > I've read the whole WAL documentation page [1] though.)
> >
> > [1] http://sqlite.org/wal.html
> >
> > --
> > Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.l...@unclassified.de>
> > Visit my web laboratory at http://beta.unclassified.de