You're seeing on of my pet peeves...error messages like "cannot open file" or
Microsoft's famous "cannot load dll".  Some of us need to know WHY.

So, change all your "cannot open" lines in shell.c to this:

fprintf(stderr, "Error: cannot open \"%s\":%s\n", zFile, strerror(errno));

Then you'll see the real errror which could be permissions, not found, or some
other.

And if it says "No such file..." then maybe you have some funky character.  Can
you "more" the filename?

Then show us your complete line of execution like this:

vi test.txt (insert line '1')

./sqlite3 test.db

create table test2(code integer);

.import 'test.txt' test2

And the resultant error message.

Michael D. Black

Senior Scientist

Advanced Analytics Directorate

Advanced GEOINT Solutions Operating Unit

Northrop Grumman Information Systems