Is there a way to exclusively *open* a SQlite database, so that (a) open fails
if there is another connection to the database and (b) no other connections can
be opened?

I figured out already that I can get almost that by opening the database,
setting PRAGMA locking_mode=exclusive; and doing a dummy-write to the DB.
However, this allows other clients to open / have open the file, and for them
it seems not possible to tell whether requests are rejected because of thsi
exclusive access or just because the database is currently busy.

Purpose: I want the option for one user to open the DB exclusively, and reject
all other connections immediately with "Someone else has opened this file
exclusively", preferably without having to write to the file (or to the
directory it's in)

TIA
ph