On 1 Jan 2012, at 7:40pm, Zbigniew wrote:

> Reading the contents of the blog
> http://milky.manishsinha.net/2009/03/30/sqlite-with-c/ tried to follow
> the tips to access SQLite database from C, but there's a problem:
> actually database should keep UTF-8 encoded data. No problem, when
> one's using LATIN1 - but I tried LATIN2 strings, and they were
> inserted just "as they were".
>
> Not sure: did I miss something in SQLite docs (any transcoding
> function available?) - or one has to transcode all the strings before
> insertion on his own, e.g. using iconv()?

You cannot correctly use LATIN2 or LATIN1 with SQLite.  SQLite handles only
UTF-8 and UTF-16 correctly.  Do anything else and you're on your own -- some
stuff works, some doesn't.  In other words, your last question is right: if
your original text isn't UTF then you must create or use a library routine to
convert it to UTF.

Also note that some of the source code on that page hasn't been corrected
correctly.  Some editor he's using has changed apostrophes (') to directed
quotes (‘), (’).  I think he's spotted some but not others.  Directed quotes
will not work correctly.  It is correct to use apostrophes for quoting text
strings.

Simon.