On 29 Feb 2012, at 12:36pm, hsymington <i...@hamishsymington.com> wrote:

> Thanks Simon; this does sound like a less headache-driven way of doing it. I
> was simplifying things slightly for an example; the actual situation is more
> complicated.

Okay, that explains it.  I'm going to let the other readers ponder your tax
example.  Obviously, it is possible under SQLite, though I don't think there's
a simple way of doing it which would work both under MySQL and SQLite.  I
suspect that the best way to do it would be to store the tax calculations in
another TABLE or VIEW and store only a CalculationType value in the sales table.

Simon.