I would like to include as much error checking as possible in my database
schema.  The problem I have is that the error messages that come back from
constraint violations are extremely generic (e.g. "constraint failed") and
would mean nothing to a user.  I tried including a name for constraints
hoping I could check the error message for the name and translate it into a
meaningful user message, but the name isn't returned in the error message.

Are there any tricks by which to get meaningful error messages when a
constraint fails?  I saw the RAISE command - perhaps that could be used in
a CHECK constraint, but it feels like I would be duplicating built in
constraints if I do that, e.g CHECK (Col1 IS NOT NULL) for a NOT NULL
constraint.

Thanks,

--
Pete