On 30 Mar 2012, at 9:45am, TeDe <tede_1...@gmx.de> wrote:

> is anyone aware of a profiler for SQLite? I know the "Explain Query
> Plan", but this is too simple for what I'm looking for.

As well as EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN there is also EXPLAIN (without the QUERY PLAN):

<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_explain.html>

> We 've been using profilers for Sybase and MySQL, where you can see a
> lot more: index usage, number of page reads, returning rows and time -
> for the whole query and for every subquery.
>
> Is such a tool available or in development? I really would pay money for
> that.

EXPLAIN does some of the above.  You can get some of the other details you
asked for by using the profiling callback functions:

<http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/profile.html>

though you'll be writing your own log functions to generate your trace in
whatever format you want it.  There are a bunch of other functions which you
could call regularly to note down what they return.  For instance you can put
various options to these three:

<http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/c_stmtstatus_counter.html>
<http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/status.html>
<http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/db_status.html>

You might want to browse the full set of functions and see if any others offer
logging options useful to you:

<http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/funclist.html>

There is also a tool which will analyse a database file and tell you details of
what's in it and how it's organised.  Download the appropriate 'analyzer'
package from here:

<http://www.sqlite.org/download.html>

Simon.