On 15 Apr 2012, at 3:48pm, niXman <i.nix...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tell me please, what is the maximum size allowed for a ":memory:" database?
> 64 GB is allowed?

If the question was answered directly, the answer would be here:

<http://www.sqlite.org/limits.html>

bit it's not (though see answer 12).  However, the internal architecture of
SQLite suggests that it's 64-bit clean, thus that the limit will be in the OS,
not SQLite, so what you really need to know is the limits of your OS.  Some
expert on page-handling in SQLite might have a specific answer.

The assumption for the standard 64 bit OSes these days is 64GB.  Some versions
of Windows 7 can handle 192 GB (plenty of test installations since it's
actually useful to have that much memory in a Windows 7 server).  Red Hat Linux
running on an AMD processor can handle 256 MB (proved by an actual
installation, but not seen personally by me).  Apple's OS X 10.7 is designed to
support 16 TB of memory but I don't know of any test installation.  The most
I've seen personally is 192 MB, which worked, but was put together just for the
lols and taken apart shortly afterwards once the benchmarks had been run.

Simon.