Simon Slavin wrote, On 26/04/12 16:39:
On 26 Apr 2012, at 4:24pm, Peter<pe...@somborneshetlands.co.uk>  wrote:

>  There are indexes on all the fields used in the tables of the
transfer_history view.

>  While tinkering I have discovered something:
>
>  If instead of
>  SELECT transfer_date FROM transfer_history_new
>  WHERE regn_no = '039540' and transfer_date<= '2012-05-01'
>  order by transfer_date asc
>
>  I write
>
>  SELECT * FROM transfer_history_new
>  WHERE regn_no = '039540' and transfer_date<= '2012-05-01'
>  order by transfer_date asc
>
>  then I get an execution time of a couple of milliseconds instead of 300ms or
so (times from Sqliteman this time). The planner has reverted to using indexes
instead of scans...
Comparing the output of EXPLAIN QUERY PLAN for those two, can you see output
that supports that ?  If so, it does seem to be a bug of some kind.

Simon.

See my original post. Explain does indeed show that the difference is the use of indexes vs scans.

Pete
--

Peter Hardman