> All these codes are dealing with the header?

They are not about header but they are essentially dealing with fatal
errors. First example is (as comment says) executed when database
tries to recover after a crashed process. And short read here means
that journal is corrupted and should be ignored. In the second example
if you follow the code further you'll see that SQLite assumes that
short read means 0 bytes was read and the whole page is filled with
zeros. That will mean that the page should be created.

Pavel