-- Regarding: *  I have a question about #9 of your test cases.  According
to RFC 4180, #9 is an invalid record.  The RFC states
    "If fields are not enclosed with double quotes, then double quotes may
not appear inside the fields."*

My example #9 was:
9,imperial ("laughing") loon

I'm no standards expert, but I would presume the statement was aimed mostly
at anyone aiming to *create*  csv, rather than as a firm requirement that
these flawed input lines not be imported by a *receiving* process -- but I
may be wrong.

Regarding:  *However, I imported your test cases into Open Office, Excel,
and
Numbers and the resulting spreadsheets all left the quotes in place in
that record.  To confuse matters even more, if I then exported those
spreadsheets as csv files, they all enlosed the string in quotes and
escaped the original quotes.*

All these programs, in addition to the current sqlite CLI, allow us to not
only import these "loony" lines (as in #9) but export them to good csv and
result in identical table data upon round-tripping -- Seems like a world I
can live in    ;-)

(BTW, I was involved in neither the design nor implementation of this
sqlite code.)

Donald