> And don't forget /D_CRT_DISABLE_PERFCRIT_LOCKS

Did know about this... Don't you just love obscure settings and behavior
like this?

> Generated code is still of "Microsoft Quality" though (if you want proper
> instruction scheduling and optimization that actual optimizes anything,
> then use a real compiler, such as gcc or watcom).  I only use MSVC in order
> to integrate the runtimes with other things which use the MS compilers, not
> because they are of any worth.

Yes. But it also depends on the port. Which one do you use most? I like
MinGW, for its simplicity, but it was a pain to set it up for x86-64. In my
still very limited experience, the generated code from MinGW32 was not much
(if at all) faster than MSVC, and compile times were higher. For me, that
has always a bit disapointing (I guess I expected a gcc like performance).

Anyway, I also ran the query on executables compiled with MinGW, although I
did not really go into optimization settings for it. I tried -Ofast but
since I would have to disable -ffast_math (and was not sure if the rest
would work well) I just used -O3 instead.

Original x86:  00:00:04.016
MSVC x86 (as before): 00:00:01.248
MSVC x86-64 (as before): 00:00:01.048
MinGW x86: 00:00:01.429
MinGW x86 -march=corei7-avx: 00:00:01.307
MinGW x86_64: 00:00:01.195
MinGW x86_64 -march=corei7-avx: 00:00:01.171

*Jonas Malaco Filho*