Thank you Pavel, that works great.

I still have the issue that, in order to be selected,  the rows in the
groups containing two entries must have a different value in a specific
column.

The rows returned by the SELECT can be uniquely identified so I'm guessing
this will involve linking TableA to itself and checking the necessary
columns for different values.  Does that sound a reasonable way to approach
this?

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>