On 28 Jun 2012, at 12:12pm, a...@zator.com wrote:

> Assuming using SEE, do is there the ability to decide what I/O operations are
> to be performed encrypted or with the plain (as is) content?

I hope Richard's answer tells you what you want to know.  He runs the team that
makes SEE.

Just in case you're actually looking for this because you're used to it with
other DBMSen, I wondered whether you might be asking not about encrypted
storage on disk but about the communications between your app and the database
server.  Having these communications encrypted is a requirement for some
installations and I'm used to being asked this question.

SQLite does not have a client/server architecture or anything like it.  Unless
you make special provision for it, all access to the data is done inside the
process of your application which asks for the operation.  Any communication
between your app and a database server or service takes place inside your CPU.
The only server-related concern would be if you are accessing a database file
using file-sharing over a network.  In that case, if you are using SEE and the
database is encrypted, any data passing over your network will be encrypted at
the page level, which makes it difficult even to identify database records and
fields, let alone what was requested or changed by an operation.  It's as
secure as AES-256 (or whatever you're using) can be.

Simon.