Hi List,

I've read what I could find about the issue, this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.sqlite.general/57770/focus=57775

pretty much gathers the positions, ranging from

 - don't
 - don't worry
 - don't expect to much
 - let the user decide

The last is closest to my approach - even though the evidence for "VACUUM
Miracles" is sketchy.
However, I have a problem here:

Q: If I can't decide when to VACUUM, how should my user?

The application: We already have a "maintenance" operation where VACUUM would
be a good fit.

However, VACUUM is by far requiring the most time, and with most uncertain
results
(i.e. whether or not it improves subsequent performance).

We use SQLite as applicaiton data format, the user is encouraged to work with
the files for
sharing data etc.

We run with auto-vaccum ON, since we frequently add and remove large-ish
blocks,
and reclaiming free space seems to be important for users.

As one reply here states, 'OS has defrag disk, Outlook has compact folders'.

However, they also have rough indicators, whether or not it's necessary
(fragmentation or
a recommendation when closing Outlook)

Q: Are there any useful indicators to suggest a VACUUM?
   (Or, to reverse it: indicators that show VACUUM is not necessary?)

Since we plan to run with auto-vacuum, free size isn't an indicator.
I've also considered brewing something with last-vacuum-date and a change
counter.

Any ideas?
ph