Black, Michael wrote:
Why should shared cached be serialized when all the threads are reading?  I can
see it for writing, but not just for reading.  There must be some logic that be
done to allow this I would think (he said without looking at the code).

(from another non-student of the relevant code)
While it may be true that reading specific cache content, at sufficiently fine granularity, would be immune to interference from other readers, the cache structure, book-keeping, and content lifetime is just as likely to be altered by the action of other readers as by writers. The database could be read-only (such as when no writers are busy), but the cache certainly will be in flux when readers alone are busy.

Cheers,
--
Larry Brasfield