And "You will" is _so_ geek.  As are passive sentences.  "Will"
indicates that the object that is in the future.  It should never be
used for currently-running software, licensing, ...

we will be issued a userid

On 08/11/2012 01:39 PM, Philip Newton wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/cerod.html contains the sentence " This
> utility program (called cerod_build.exe) reads an ordinary,
> uncompressed, and unencrypted SQLite database built by a public-domain
> version of SQLite and constructs and equivalent compressed and
> encrypted CEROD database." Oxford or serial comma...
"called" is extraneous.  Perhaps the parentheses should be commas.
No...they need to indicate a higher level of separation than the commas
separating "ordinary, uncompressed, and unencrypted."

 The second "and" should be "an": "... and constructs _an_ equivalent ...".

It also goes on to say that "After you purchase a license to use
CEROD, we will be issued a userid and password to the on-line software
configuration management system for CEROD. "

I presume that should either be "you will be issued" or "we will issue
you"; rather than "we will be issued".

> Yay for the active voice! Also the 'will' may be extraneous.  This action
> occurs after payment.
(Strunk & White's 13th rule: "Omit needless words."
> And then, "You can then log in and download the latest CEROD source
> code and documentation whenever you like. Your license is perpetual,
> so your login never expires. You can log in as often as you like to
> obtain the latest updates. " "Licensed users may"  "can" indicates the
> ability to do an action, "may" gives permission to do so. "Then" is
> extraneous. Correct use of "log in" and "login."
> "Whenever you like" is extraneous.
without "And then,"
"You may log in to download the latest CEROD source code and
documentation.  You have a perpetual license.  Your login never
expires.  You may log in at any time to obtain the latest updates."

The "at any time" and "the latest" may be extraneous; they would be
understood.  However, they may need to be retained for clarity.
It also may a matter of preference between "...license.  Your", or
"license; your", or "license:  your"  That is, unless someone can come
up with a definitive rule.

> It might be good to be consistent about whether the user will "log in"
> or "login" between the first and the last of those three sentences.
> (In the second sentence, it's a noun, so it can only be the one-word
> variant.) Good catch.  Users can "log in" if they have a "login."
>
> Cheers,
> Philip
Is this good for a promotion in the grammar police?

Ted, ex-IBM documentation writer.