On 26 Sep 2012, at 5:42am, Dan Kennedy <danielk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So when SQLite requires a temporary
> file, it normally creates and opens a file with a randomized name
> in /tmp then calls unlink() on it immediately - before it starts
> using the file.

Goodness me.  Okay, I wasn't aware that SQLite used this trick.  Thanks for the
correction.  That certainly does tie in with what the OP reported.

There are problems with doing this under some versions of Unix/Linux, and
especially variants like Android.  For instance, another user/app can make a
file with the same name.  Or the system may crash while the file is still open.
 Is there any chance that the use of this trick can be discontinued ?  I would
believe that any Unix user who knows to look in /tmp could deal with what they
found there.  I would say that the file should be deleted normally when SQLite
is finished with it rather than this trick being used.

Of course, there may be a specific reason why the programmers of SQLite decided
to do this.

Simon.