O'Toole, Eamonn wrote:
>> From: Clemens Ladisch
>> Is it the DELETE or the INSERT that is slow, or both?
>
> Good question - I don't know
>
>> Are you addressing the records by ROWID or by name?
>
>  By name

So when the DELETE searches for the record to be deleted, it has to scan
the *entire* table ...

... unless you add an index on that field.

(And does this mean that the name, and not the ROWID, should be the
primary key?)

>> How big are the records, compared to the page size?
>> (And what is the output of sqlite3_analyzer?)
>
> I'll post the sqlite_analyzer output in a separate mail.

Nothing interesting there.

You might consider increasing the page size, which reduces page
management overhead slightly.  (All of today's file systems and OS
caches use a page size of 4 KB anyway, so using smaller DB pages does
not make sense.)

Regards,
Clemens