I have a folder with 17 independent databases in, each of them opened for
reading an writing occasionally.  Two of them have both -wal and -shm files,
even though they shouldn't have been opened for read or write for days, and the
last opening of each one closed connections properly without crashing.

Should these journal files exist even when nothing is open or has crashed ?  I
thought that properly-closed connections deleted journal files for databases in
WAL mode.

Is there some official method to delete them ?  I tried VACUUM on one and when
the connection was closed the journal files were deleted, but I don't want to
do that if their existence definitely indicates that my code is not closing
those files correctly.

Simon.