I've got a table which can be described as holding one "RefDes" per row. (They are reference designators in a electronic PCB schematic or its bill-of-materials.) There are thousands of them, and each one is very short, inducing the convention of clumping them together for display in a bill-of-materials so that line counts are held down and horizontal space is well used. So, starting with a column which might be:
    RefDes
    ------
    R1
    R2
    R190
I want to convert it to something like:
    R1,R2,...,R50,
    R51,R52,...,R100,
    R101,R102,...,R150,
    R151,...,R190
where the clump length, setting the number of designators per line, is a parameter. (Ideally, the string length of the clump would be the criterion, but this is dispensible.)

The converted result is destined for a spreadsheet, and I would really like the pseudo-table created therein to be a simple projection or view of the real data. I realize this is not hard to do programmatically, (having done it a few times), but it would be nice for process/work-flow reasons to be able to use a query to get the data in presentation form. If there is no way to get a view that does this, I can create a derivative database table with the clumping already done programmatically. But that presents its own issues, such as when to run the code that creates it.

I'm stumped as to how to do this. I've done the reverse transformation in SQL, so it seems like this should not be as hard as I have found it to be.

Thanks for any tips, (even "Give up.")
--
Larry Brasfield