On 12/20/2012 2:30 PM, Larry Brasfield wrote:
I believe it's pretty simple. Parameters are allowed everywhere a
literal may appear, except in schema definition statements, namely
various CREATE statements as well as ALTER TABLE; and also PRAGMA (not
sure why). Currently, this leaves SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE,
REPLACE, ATTACH (the file name is an expression which allows parameters)
and EXPLAIN (when the query being explained itself allows parameters).
None of the remaining statements allow for literals in their syntax, so
the issue is moot for them.

How did you discern this?

I know from experience where parameters work (SELECT, INSERT and similar; also ATTACH as one of my projects happens to use it this way), and where they don't (all forms of CREATE; I haven't tried ALTER but I'm 99% sure it won't work there either). I've just tested PRAGMA. I briefly scanned the rest at http://sqlite.org/lang.html to confirm that their syntax doesn't involve expressions.
--
Igor Tandetnik