On 29 Jan 2013, at 8:19am, Scott Hess <sh...@google.com> wrote:

> insert into x values ('SQLite is a software library that implements
> a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL
> database engine. SQLite is the most widely deployed SQL database engine in
> the world. The source code for SQLite is in the public domain.');
> -- Repeat that four or five times.
>
> Now, somewhere else, running:
>  strings trial.db-journal
> gives me various repetitions of the inserted string present in the journal
> file.  This applies even after running 'delete from x;', at which point the
> main database itself will not contain these strings.

Verified here with version 3.7.12, native with OS X 10.8 installation.

Can't be helped at all up to closing the connection to the database.

Once the database connection is closed, still being able to see that text is a
consequence of 'journal_mode = persist' or WAL.  I think that this also can't
be helped -- it's inherent in the journal file not being wiped -- but this is
more debatable than the state before the connection is closed.

The only way to prevent the data being available from a disk-read with
sufficient privileges would be to use "journal_mode = MEMORY".  Might be worth
adding a comment to the documentation for the secure_delete PRAGMA.

Simon.