On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 11:04 +0000, SR Volatile wrote:
> Is there any option to encrypt fields in a table when creating it?

There is the SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE):
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/see.html

It is not free. But it looks like it does a pretty good job (I never
used it myself).

Other than that, you can encrypt/decrypt the data in your application
using some 3rd party encryption software. Depending on your security
needs, please be aware that no encryption mechanism is 100% safe, and to
achieve an adequate level of security through encryption is anything but
trivial.

Of course, my suggestion to make the file read-only does not prohibit
users from reading the data, only from editing it. You'd have to deny
read AND write access to any users except for those using the database
to prevent all prying eyes.

Although setting up such permissions is fairly straightforward on a *nix
system, I believe that more recent versions of Windows allow user-level
permissions as well.

And I still think this is probably the best way to go with any
file-based RDBMS because once the file-system security is breached, the
database file can be copied and a dedicated intruder can hack away at
leisure to remove whatever encryption there is.