On 13 Apr 2013, at 2:23am, Roger Binns <rog...@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

> On 15/02/13 04:56, Dann Luciano wrote:
>> ... or json results in sqlite.
>
> Just formatting results as JSON is uninteresting and trivial.  It is a one
> liner in Python for example.
>
> I use MongoDB for the vast majority of my database work these days.  The
> reason is because I can put arbitrary JSON objects in and get the same
> arbitrary JSON objects out.  Queries have the same "shape" as the JSON
> objects (unlike the defunct unql which tries to use SQL).

Since JavaScript can't talk to a SQLite database directly I have a little PHP
servelet that does it for me.  The request is sent in JSON and the response is
a JSON.stringified object with error codes and things like that in it.

(Before people chide me about SQL injections, the servelet checks the URL it's
being called from /and/ refuses to run if the host of the caller isn't in my
whitelist.)

To the OP: SQLite's greatest property ... okay, maybe the second greatest ...
is that it's 'lite'. Attempts to add things to it are generally not welcome.
It has no ambition to grow by gaining more and more functions, it has to run on
tiny little embedded processors with no space to spare.

Simon.