On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:27 AM, Mario M. Westphal <m...@mwlabs.de> wrote:

> After downloading and compiling in the SQLite 3.7.16.2, we have a problem.
>
> The INSERT statement which takes only a few seconds with previous builds
> now does not return, at least not within several minutes.
> It's hard to debug the amalgation in Visual Studio but it looks like
> SQLite would be caught in an internal loop inside the step() function call.

The problem, of course, has nothing to do with INSERT.  The problem is that
the 4-way join on the SELECT statement is choosing a different (and
apparently much slower) query plan since the introduction of transitive
constraint processing in 3.7.16.

The latest check-in (http://www.sqlite.org/src/info/5f4907e1c6) contains
yet another optimization which should make the query fast again.  For the
test case in question, the output is now nearly instantaneous.

Please recompile using the latest SQLite source code (which you can
download using the "ZIP archive" link on the check-in page mentioned in the
previous paragraph) and let us know if this does not make the code run a
lot faster.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org