On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> Unless you include your collation code, it's hard to reproduce your
> behaviour.  Can you please try to find a demonstration with a collation
> order that's native to SQLite ?  Perhaps a three-row example using "COLLATE
> NOCASE" ?

You are correct, Simon, that Staffan's message was really just a vague hint
of something wrong.  But based on that meager hint, I have been able to
come up with a suspicious-looking test script using the built-in "nocase"
collation.  To wit:

CREATE TABLE t1(a);
INSERT INTO t1 VALUES('abc');
INSERT INTO t1 VALUES('def');
CREATE TABLE t2(a);
INSERT INTO t2 VALUES('DEF');

SELECT a FROM t1 EXCEPT SELECT a FROM t2 ORDER BY a;
SELECT a FROM t1 EXCEPT SELECT a FROM t2 ORDER BY a COLLATE nocase;
SELECT a FROM (SELECT a FROM t1 EXCEPT SELECT a FROM t2)
 ORDER BY a COLLATE nocase;

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org