I think the problem is with the \ (Note direction) as this makes the next
character a literal character.  So it isn't trying to drop the file into a
sub directory, its using a literal character e.  So

/var/tmp/etilqs_PIREaghry4bPE*S8\et*ilqs_02LTi9u3HO3cx0g
translates to
/var/tmp/etilqs_PIREaghry4bPE*S8et*ilqs_02LTi9u3HO3cx0g
as far as the OS is concerned.

But something is messing with SQLites head because of that.  SQLite might
be trying to open the file changing the \ to \\ which means literal \ which
ends up being NOT the same filename

I've NOT looked at source code to validate my statement.  This is 100%
theory.