By default sqlite3 is fairly safe, so when you change a pragma
ensure that you are not disabling a safety feature.

To get an idea, check this thread where I had the opposite need
(more speed, less safety)
http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/What-pragma-to-use-to-get-maximum-speed-at-expense-of-safety-td68488.html

About backups, here is the documentation:
http://www.sqlite.org/backup.html
I personally always used the historical way. And copied the backups in a
remote server.