On 14 Aug 2013, at 5:36pm, Stephan Beal <sgb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Ralf Ramsauer <
> ralf+sql...@ramses-pyramidenbau.de> wrote:
>
>> Why is it proposed not to use NFS? Why is it so risky? I can hardly
>> believe that NFS locking is that broken...
>
> Few of us can believe it, but many of us have had horrible experiences
> (regardless of sqlite) with locking on network drives, either corruption or
> 100x slower performance when file locking is used. Try it if you must, but
> don't say you weren't warned.

I can add from personal experience that various implementations of NFS over the
years have been terrible.  From sync() and fsync() calls which did nothing at
all, to unlock calls which unlock all files when you're asking only for one
file, there has been some truly terrible source code.  Section 2.1 in
'howtocorrupt' is dead right.

Simon.