Hi,

During our internal tests, I recently stumbled across a problem when
using SVN, which uses SQLite to manage the "wc.db" metadata database
in the working copy.

SVN itself uses the Apache APR as PAL, which internally uses the
Windows Unicode APIs with the \\?\ path prefix, allowing path lengths
of up to 32k characters, so it can deal fine with deep directory
hierarchies.

Except when using SVN externals within those deep hierarchies.
Externals are managed via nested working copies coming with their
own "wc.db", so it's easy to run into the MAX_PATH limit of 260
characters.

http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg18707.html
seems to indicate that SQLite is not using those APIs. On the other
hand, that post is of 2006.

So my questions are:

Is there any way to successfully open a database at such a long path
location?

Is the SQLite project interested in a fix of this problem?

What is the correct way to get such a fix rolled (bug tracker,
patches, etc.?)

Is it possible to implement a workaround, e. G. via a custom
VFS layer (which might be able to delegate everything except file
opening to the default one)?

PS: I'm already on contact with the SVN Developers, but I think the
issue is best fixed in SQLite itself:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2013-08/0344.shtml

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS(r) a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.scha...@codesys.com | Web: http://www.codesys.com | CODESYS store:
http://store.codesys.com
CODESYS forum: http://forum.codesys.com

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade
register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915