On 26 Aug 2013, at 6:16pm, Igor Tandetnik <i...@tandetnik.org> wrote:

> Furthermore, the collation depends on the system locale. If the system locale
> changes, that could similarly lead to corrupted indexes. Not sure how much of
> a concern that is with iOS

System locale is a simple setting made by the user.  It does seem unlikely that
a user would do that once they've been using their phone for a while but,
technically, it can be changed at any time.

> (I'm really only familiar with Windows desktop, where changing the system
> locale is possible, and moreover different users on the same machine may run
> under different locales).

iDevices don't have a 'user' model: the assumption is that each device belongs
to just one person who will be the only user.  But that's a good cautious
consideration.

Given the declared setup we have two concerns:

1) dependent on system locale which can be changed
2) requires detailed knowledge of individual languages (how many languages can
one person know that well ?)

I'm tempted to suggest that the 'fallback' situation should either call iOS's
own Unicode sorting mechanisms or use the SQLite ICU compilation.

Simon.