On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:03:39 +0000
Roman Fleysher <roman.fleys...@einstein.yu.edu> wrote:

> However, sometimes, in comparison we want to ignore some of the
> attributes, or compare derived ones. Many busses can carry 25 people,
> and may be considered equal if we simply need to transport people.
> Busses certainly differ by other attributes.

Busses might indeed differ in many ways, but if you make NAME the
primary key for BUSSES, the rule is not "compare BUSSES, ignoring
columns other than NAME".  The rule is "compare BUSSES.NAME".

> it is the comparison ( "=", BETWEEN, IN , etc) statements that must
> be modified

This not a syntax issue.  Equality is deeply embedded in the system, in
many places where there's no SQL in play (e.g. keys).

It's a system of types and operators.  We can already convert between
types and compare them.  If you can show some kind of comparison
that *cannot* be done via type conversion using the operators exactly
as they are, you might have a point.

--jkl