On 16 Sep 2013, at 9:48am, Niall O'Reilly <niall.orei...@ucd.ie> wrote:

> On 14 Sep 2013, at 18:09, Petite Abeille wrote:
>
>> Yeah... not sure why people are doing that to themselves though :D
>
>       Consecutive closed intervals overlap.  Depending on the
>       application, this may be a problem; it can be avoided by
>       using half-open ones.

Or by not relying on a continuous number line when what you really want is
serial-numbering.

I wouldn't attempt to locate follow-chains inside a SELECT which was doing
something else.  I'd write one routine to figure out the serial numbers (and
possibly store them back in the tables), and once that was done, use those to
do the task I was really trying to do.

Simon.