Paul Bainter wrote:

> When deploying my application to a clean Windows 7 x64 virtual machine
> (VMWare Workstation 10), I got the message "Failed to find or load the
> registered .NET Framework Data Provider" and of course with no database
> the app would crash.

When does this error appear?  What application is raising it?

The .NET Framework Data Provider configuration is normally found within
the "app.config" file (i.e. "App locally") or the machine-wide configuration
file.  The "app.config" file needs to be present in the directory containing
the primary executable managed file for the application and must be named
"${exeFileName}.config", where "${exeFileName}" is the name of the
executable.

Example:

        test.exe -- Executable file name.
        test.exe.config -- The "app.config" file name.

> I then installed the file:
> "sqlite-netFx45-setup-bundle-x86-2012-1.0.88.0.exe" (retrieved from your
web
> site) to this clean machine. I did NOT install it to the GAC which of
course
> also eliminated the Visual Studio Design stuff. At that point, I ran my
app
> again and it worked as expected.

The setup bundle modifies the machine-wide configuration file to add the
SQLite ADO.NET provider.  However, when deploying to any machine that does
not
require the Visual Studio design-time functionality, add the necessary
section
to the "app.config" file is recommended instead.  The file should look
something
like this:

<configuration>
  <system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
      <remove invariant="System.Data.SQLite" />
      <add name="SQLite Data Provider" invariant="System.Data.SQLite"
description=".Net Framework Data Provider for SQLite"
type="System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteFactory, System.Data.SQLite,
Version=1.0.88.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139" />
    </DbProviderFactories>
  </system.data>
</configuration>

--