On 7 Nov 2013, at 3:58pm, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM, L. Wood <lwoo...@live.com> wrote:
>
>> QUESTION: What error codes can each of the following functions possibly
>> return while the database file is renamed/moved during the execution of the
>> function?
>
> No errors are returned.  SQLite never notices that the database file has
> been renamed.
>
> In Unix, once a file is opened, the process only deals with the file
> descriptor.  The underlying filename can change or even deleted (unlinked)
> and the application will never know.

Richard (or any of the team),

Assuming that the user is using OS X, use of standard VFS, access on a local
disk, no ATTACH, no Jedi mind tricks ...

Does SQLite ever close and reopen database or journal files between _open() and
_close() ?  An example of a time I might expect this would be during a VACUUM,
or as a transaction finishes while journal_mode = DELETE.

My guess is that if SQLite closes one of these files it creates a new one with
the name and path it already knows, but I wonder if it might close and reopen
one of these files.  Of course, if it closes a file you've moved, then tries to
delete it, it won't be able to delete it.

Simon.