I think I found out why I'm getting a raised error and this will be
something I'll have to remember later on dealing with PRAGMAs.

There are two ways to get things done with this unit.  There is GetTable
which expects results back, and ExecSQL which expects exactly zero rows
back.

In the CLI and SQLite Expert, when I ran the exact same PRAGMA, I got a
result back, but that just went over my head.  I did think it odd that I'd
get a result off a statement, but I didn't clue in, as I was concentrating
on the raised error in my program, and not getting one in the CLI or a
third party app.  Then this morning, when tracing code to figure out a way
to give you guys and gals more information to assist me with why this is
happening, I traced through the code like 5 more times before it dawned on
me about the expectations of ExecSQL.

I was in the frame of mind yesterday that the results, assuming perfect
syntax, of a PRAGMA would be the same as a DELETE.  No results back.  But
the grey matter didn't equate that PRAGMA JOURNAL_MODE returned a result
which in fact doesn't equal the results back of a DELETE.

So a quick change to use GetTable instead of ExecSQL should get me the
results I want.