You absolutely cannot do this automatically unless you know the source of
each timestamp, any maybe not even then. Just as a f'rinstance, there are
at least 3 different meanings for EST, and 2 of them are in the same
country: try -0500, +1000, +1100 for a start.

On 24 November 2013 10:53, Bernie Reiter <
bernie_on_the_road_ag...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I receive data records from various sources. I can't influence their
> formats. These data records are containing datetimestamps like this
> (without the doublequotes):
>
> "06-May-12 18:57:41 BST"
> "Nov-22-13 22:58:10 PST"
> "23-Nov-13 08:56:57 GMT"
> "22.11.13    00:33:32 MEZ"
> "23-Nov-13 18:57:40 AEDST"
> "23-Nov-13 01:58:10 EST"
>
> I want to automatically convert these datetimestamps into standard UTC.
>
> Currently I am using a "manual approach" by:
> a) converting the datetimestamp into the common format " YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM"
> b) reading the time zone code (e.g., BST)
> c) looking-up the timezone indicator for this time zone code (e.g. -01:00)
> (see paragraph "Formats 2 through 10 may be optionally followed by a
> timezone indicator..."
> on page http://sqlite.org/lang_datefunc.html )
> d) and appending this indicator to an SQL statement.
>
> My SQL statements look like this:
> SELECT datetime('2012-05-06T18:57:41-01:00');
>
> Is there a clever way to convert these datetimestamps into standard UTC ?
>

> I don't want to "mess around" with the local timezone of the server
> on which sqlite3 is running. This approach is not portable.
>
> The Unix/Linux 'date' utility is not portable either.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> bernie

Christopher Vance